Laminate floors are awesome! I have them in my apartment, and not only do they look great, they really cut down on dust for my allergies.
This is the first time I have had laminate floors, and I wasn’t sure how to clean them properly at first. Here are some tips that I have learned over the years.
3 Tips for Cleaning Your Laminate Flooring
1. Microfiber brooms are your friend.
If you don’t have one, then I recommend you purchasing one immediately. Once you have your microfiber brush, you are ready to sweep those floors sparkling clean.
2. Use your fabulous microfiber broom to mop your laminate floors.
But remember less is more when it comes to the amount of water you use to clean your floors. If you use too much water, over time it will seep into the cracks of the floor and cause your floors to bow.
3. Make your own laminate floor cleaner out of vinegar.
Not only is it cheaper, but you don’t have to worry about toxic chemicals.
Do It Yourself Laminate Floor Cleaner Recipe
1. Mix equal parts warm water with white vinegar.
2. Put the mix in a spray bottle.
3. Shake before use, then spray and wipe to enjoy streak free floors!
Specialty Cleaning Instructions
Everyone is bound to have a few spills or stains occur on their laminate floor! Here are some suggestions for a few.
- Bubble gum – put a piece of ice on the bubble gum and let it harden. Then, gently scrape the gum off of the floor.
- Fingernail polish – Dip a cotton ball in fingernail polish remover to remove stain.
- Scuffs and heels marks- use an eraser to erase the marks.
- Soft drinks- wipe up with a clean, damp cloth.
The Don’ts of Laminate Floor Cleaning
- Do not use lots of water on your laminate floors.
- Do not use a string mop on your laminate floors.
- Do not leave puddles.
- Do not use bleach.
- Do not use steel wool or other abrasive surfaces on your floors.
- Do not soak your microfiber broom in water.
- Do not use products that offer a protected shine--they will only dull your floors and leave a residue on the floors.
Since laminate floors are not the only type of hard surface flooring that we offer, we provide cleaning tips for wood, vinyl and other flooring styles! You can get your free hard surface flooring guide and help maximize the life of your mobile home flooring, regardless of material.
Topics Home Maintenance