Buying a home is a big decision, and if you’re anything like me, you don’t always know what questions to ask yourself when trying to find the perfect home. These days there are tons of options to choose from, and while it’s great that you can basically customize a home however you want, it can be overwhelming.
A great tip to help ease some of the cognitive chaos that comes with homebuying is to make a list before beginning your home search.
First, list all of the essentials you’ll need.
Then add a list of amenities and additional spaces you would like to have in your new home.
By doing this before visiting a home center you’ll have a better idea of exactly what type of home you’re looking for, and home consultants can show you homes similar to what your list describes.
A few questions to help you get started include:
- What’s your budget?
- How many square feet does your new home need to be?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- What type of floor plan would you prefer? Would you prefer a more traditional floor plan that is compartmentalized or would rather have a more modern, open floor plan?
- Do you want all of the bedrooms on one end of the house, or do you want them split?
- Do you need a living room and a bonus family room?
- Do you need added storage spaces for linens and other objects? Where would you like them to be located?
- Do you want full bathrooms with both a tub and shower?
- Do you need a laundry room? How big does it need to be?
- How big does your kitchen need to be?
- Do you need a formal dining room? Will you have a breakfast nook?
- Will you have a patio or deck? Would you want sliding glass doors at the entry way or French doors?
- Where would you like the windows to be located around your home?
- What types of siding would you consider for the exterior?
- What type of walls would you like on the interior? Dry wall or paneling?
- What kind of roof pitch would you like?
- Will your home be all electric, natural gas, both?
- Shingles or tin for your roof?
- Shutters for window exteriors?
- What type of flooring do you want in each room of your house?
Evaluating your wants and needs can help you begin your home buying journey and find the perfect home for you and your family quicker! After you find your perfect home, you get to find the perfect place to place your manufactured home so you and your family can enjoy it for a lifetime.